Here’s the Video Transcript:
– So Nealey, I’ve always wanted to know how to make a blog, but I have no idea where to start. – Well you’re in luck that’s actually what we’re gonna cover here today on The Journey. All right Alex now with building your first blog you really have to figure out what do you actually wanna write about? – So my greatest passion, is food – Eating it? – Yeah eating it talking about it, seeing it, whatever. – Right on, so that’s a good thing to blog about there are tons of food bloggers out there, hopefully you’ll get some free food out there – Absolutely – I mean that’s what I’m hoping for, but once you figure that out, you wanna really figure out who your audience is, who do you wanna serve? So is there a type of food that you like to blog about? – I would say, probably just a new up-and-coming restaurants in the area – So your audience is more the trendier people the foodies – The Millennials – The Millennials like us.
So that’s super important to figure out, what your actual blog is gonna be about and who your audience is, because you have to be targeted with your message. If you try to serve everyone you actually end up serving no one. It’s like trying to boil the ocean, you just can’t do it. All right, the next thing to really think about is, understanding why you actually want to start this blog ’cause there’s a lot of work involved, so Alex why do you want to start this blog? – Well I just love to write so it’s a great outlet for some creativity, and also just to, you know, try new food options.
I dig it I dig it. So now that you have those questions answered, the next part of really starting your blog is figuring out what the the name of it is gonna be and the branding. Now do you have an idea of what your name is gonna be? ’cause I have an idea – Yeah! what do you think I should name my blog? – So I already checked the domain name alexeatsfood.com is available. – It’s perfect – So the blog Alex eats food right? So I think that’s what we’re gonna make today. So with that name if you’re struggling on trying to figure out what your own name is, we got a video up here on naming, that’ll definitely help you out. But to carry on with that the next portion of it comes branding, your brand is literally every single aspect of your blog.
That’s the the way you talk on it that’s the images you use the text, the font, literally everything so you wanna try to keep that consistent. The more consistent you are with your branding the more people are easily able to recognize you, right, like if you see, like GoDaddy’s color the green and orange you instantly think GoDaddy, or like the red and yellow colors do you think of? – McDonald’s – McDonald’s right – Alex eats food – Alex eats food look at that. All right so the last thing you need to ask yourself before you actually start going into building the website, is figuring out, do you want just a blog or do you want a full-on website with the blog included, so Alex which one do you want? I think I want to keep it simple just do the blog for now so that way I can still focus on all the food eating. Right like super important – Yeah! – So we’re gonna go ahead and show you guys a quick demo let’s go check it out.
All right Alex so, we’re about to make your blog here I’m gonna take you through actually installing WordPress on a hosting account, there’s a difference between wordpress.com hosting and self hosted WordPress. Now for most business owners I would definitely recommend a self hosted WordPress, this is basically you going to a hosting provider, buying hosting and installing WordPress on top of it. Sounds like a lot of work but it’s actually pretty easy to do, so check it out. So inside a cPanel most providers have it you’re gonna look for a thing called Installatron there’s lots of apps to choose from, you click WordPress, install this application then it’s gonna give you a lot of different options.
We have our domain name here, alexeatsfood.com directory leave blank – you don’t wanna like slash something just wanted the domain, you have the username and password here, your email you can update that as you need to. And then you click install at the bottom. – Wow, okay easy enough. All right so you’ve never built a WordPress site before right? – right So brand-new, so the cool thing about WordPress is that you can access it literally anywhere you want to. So where’s kind of your favorite places to work? – I like to write on my blog whenever I’m, you know at home.
– At home? – Yeah! – Just chilling out – Yeah! – I like coffee shops – Right – And we’re working there so I can access it there which is cool, so you go to your domain name and then forward slash WP dash admin it’ll be a login screen I’m cheating and doing like a little one click login here inside of cPanel. So now there’s a get started wizard we’re gonna skip past that just because you may not have that get starting wizard with your hosting provider, so I’ll hit no thanks. So this is WordPress, it can seem overwhelming there’s lots of stuff here to choose from but I think the very first thing that we need to do is choose a theme for your site – Okay! So a theme is basically like how you want your site to look feel and function – Okay! Are there different things that I can choose from? There are tons, so you go to appearance and themes you have some default ones here, I would recommend installing your own – [Alex] Okay – [Nealey] But I’m gonna have you kinda choose your own we’re gonna go to the most popular here, and, we’ll just tell me when, I’ll let you pick whatever one you want.
– [Alex] I like this one. – [Nealey] all right so, – [Alex] Welcome to Sydney – [Nealey] we’re going to Sydney let’s do it, so you mouse over it click install, so then once it’s installed you click activate, and, then you’ve just installed a theme – [Alex] Okay! – Super simple, all right so after themes we want to kind of check out some plugins, so plugins are basically little add-ons to your website – Okay! – So you can literally do almost anything with the plug-in there’s that old phrase, there’s a plug-in for that, we actually made a video on our favorite plugins. You wanna check it out, but I’ll show you how to install a plug-in it’s pretty much the same as installing a theme. So plugins add new, and then it’s gonna show you some of the featured plugins here then we’re gonna go to popular I’ll let you kinda check it out.
So let’s check out, we definitely want people to find your website so we’ll install Yoast SEO here, and just like that we’re gonna click install. So once you do install again same thing activate, and then that plug-in is done. All right so that’s installing a plug-in super simple but let’s get to the real meat of making your blog and that’s the post, so what do you wanna make a post right now? – Yeah let’s do it. – Cool so where does a place that you recently ate at or maybe your favorite place in Austin? – Let’s go with Hopdoddy great burgers.
– So super simple mouse over posts and go add new then we’re gonna go to the editor and this is going to be where you can basically start writing all your content. So how do you spell Hopdoddy? Is it, – Hop – Hit daddy, (laughs) I can’t type – Hopdoddy – cool Hopdoddy exactly as it sounds. So you put your title here, you can add all your content look at all this great content content I’m writing – This is really great content – I’m just the best here, all the words – Guys my blog is gonna be a lot better than this – Super hot fire all right and then, so this is what was called the Gutenberg editor now it’s just really called the page editor. You can add all your stuff here, so as you see I just started typing there’s this little plus guy right here, and you can add even more content. So maybe you want to start adding pictures of your restaurant, or the restaurants to eat at rather or the food you eat, you do so here and just add your image and then you can choose from the media library – Okay! – I don’t have anything the media library – No Hopdoddy picture – so I’m gonna grab just a picture of a burger just for example’s sake.
– when you are at Pexel.com and just type in burgers see what pops up. – [Alex] And these are all free images right? – [Nealey] Yes these are all free images makes it super helpful especially if maybe you’re not doing food reviews but you have to have the image, maybe seen some cool stock photos – [Alex] Yeah absolutely – [Nealey] This all look delicious and I’m hungry all right, so I’m gonna download this really quick.
Cool what’s cool about pexels too is that, these photographers are giving their photos for free if you want to support them you can donate or follow them on Instagram which is pretty cool – Very cool. – A little kick back there and then, once you have your image you’re gonna upload it there then add your alt text, so alt text is basically what Google can read ’cause Google can’t understand when actual images, so we have to tell it so super awesome burgers.
And then select, and then we have our post, and then as you see here we installed Yoast SEO so there’s a little section to update your search engine title, search engine descriptions all that good Stuff. And now last but not least, one of the more important things to think about with your post is to have a featured image. Basically so when you have your site right and it’s not just text you have that little image there to capture it – Okay! – Make sure you’re on the document tab go down to featured image set featured image and I’m gonna be lazy and just choose the same image.
– [Alex] Burgers all over the place – [Nealey] burgers burgers burgers and then when you’re done you can publish or if you say you’ve created a bunch of content you don’t want them all published at once, you can actually schedule it right here – [Alex] Oh nice – [Nealey] So publish, when do you want this to publish? – [Alex] On Friday. – [Nealey] Friday all right. So let’s check it out, all right so obviously the title we’re gonna have to update a little bit (laughs) – [Alex] That’s not me – [Nealey] But then here’s Here’s your blog post so the feature image always shows first, and then your content and then your feature image you have comment boxes so your visitors can go and add their own two cents or say that is a super awesome burger, I’m just super hungry now but, let’s check out a couple other places on WordPress – [Alex] Okay – All right so I’m gonna show you guys widgets.
– And what exactly do widgets do? – Widgets are a WordPress’ best friend. So on your blog post you saw that there was that sidebar with not a lot of real content, which is kind of default generic stuff. So if you go to appearances and then widgets, this is basically all this content you can have on your sidebar and on your footer. Some themes may give you more options for sidebars especially if you have woocommerce you could have the sidebar just for your blog post, you don’t want your blog post just have like products you wanna have post but you want your products to show other related products things like that. – Got it – [Nealey] So you can easily just get rid of stuff you don’t want by clicking and dragging, and then something else to really check out, is the the customize tab.
Most themes especially the free themes will have all the options to really design and style your site right there, I’m just just gonna give you a quick overview of what this looks like. So this Sydney theme has a ton of options so I was actually a little surprised, you can’t have all your stuff here, it’s your site title, your header area, things like that your homepage settings so this is super important so you’re gonna have your latest posts show up. So let’s go ahead and go back, all right so let’s check out your website. So again just click the my blog that little shortcut to get to your website.
– [Alex] Nice so why does it say create your menu here in the top right corner? – Because we need to create a new menu here, so that menus can be your navigation so like your home links your about contact all that good stuff. You either click it there if you’re on the front of site or if you’re in the dashboard its appearance and then menus, you can add your stuff here, so it looks like we have menu already kind of created we have home and then sample page, I don’t want sample page to show up, so I’m gonna go ahead and just remove that.
And then go ahead and click create menu and once you do you’ll see at the bottom here it shows menu settings so you can auto add pages so as you add like “an about” or “contact” things it’ll automatically come here, so you don’t have to, and then display location primary menu is so it will actually appear up there – [Alex] Okay – [Nealey] So if we go primary menu and save and now check out the site it’ll show home – [Alex] Okay, – [Nealey] just like that then we have your awesome Hopdoddy post with all this randomness grand in hello world right there then default post there.
– So what does it mean when it says uncategorized right there? – I almost forgot so every post has a category so you could have like burger restaurants, or you can have ice cream places, whatever you want it to be. So by default WordPress doesn’t know what to put so it’s gonna have an uncategorized category, so you go to post categories and then just click quick edit we’re gonna just type in burgers here make it nice and simple, but as you add posts you can add content here, for categories or inside the post itself – [Alex] Okay – so now one of the issues with having a blog is potentially the amount a spam you might get, there are BOTS out there that just go out and just basically add just nonsense posts trying to get links back to their site. – So how do I avoid that? – So there’s a few things you can do, so most of the time WordPress will come pre-installed with the plug-in called Akismet Anti-Spam you can sign up and do that, otherwise you can do like a captcha plug-in that make sure that they’re an actual person on your website and commenting plugins like Disqus which is like facebook login or Twitter login is definitely good to help prevent some of that stuff too.
– So earlier you showed me that SEO plug-in you know how do I make sure that my content is gonna be seen? – Yeah let’s actually check out Yoast, so if you go over to your page, we wanna go back to edit it again. So you can either click directly on it, or click edit here so under Yoast it’s gonna give you a lot of recommendations and things like that like again, I have nonsense here just for the sake of this, you’re the writer I’m going to let you create here. – Will work the magic later. – But it’ll take a little snippet here for you so by default it’s gonna have title page separator and site title so you can get rid of this and do Hopdoddy my favorite burger place review, or whatever you want it to be – [Alex] Okay – [Nealey] It’s gonna give you a little kind of wheel the more content the better, see it goes to green, – [Alex] Wow! green is good – [Nealey] Basically and it’s gonna give you a little snippet of how it’s gonna look on search engines you want a lot of content that’s attention-grabbing and has kind of your focus keyword, so your focus key would really be like Hopdoddy review you wanna make sure you have that in there.
And then your Meta Description like it says please provide a meta description by adding a snippet below basically it’s a quick little snippet of what someone’s gonna get out of your content, if they read it you wanna keep it engaging but again make sure you have whatever your focus word is for you it’ll be a hopdoddy review so have that somewhere in there as a business owner your page your post you’ll wanna make sure that you have some type of focus word for that page whether it’s a review or an “about us” or a service and include it in your description and your title. And then you can kind of go down there’s SEO analysis it’s gonna give you a lot of information and you can just go down the rabbit hole or just clicking all this stuff. I’ll leave that for another video, actually we did a video on SEO if you wanna check it out right here. – [Alex] Whoa! so why does it say not secure there in the top left corner? – [Nealey] Because technically it’s not secure so really I mean it’s secure like the information on there is fine but with WordPress you have that WP dash admin where you log in right so it’s not secure so if you enter in your username your password that information is sent over plaintext on the Internet.
So if there’s a man in the middle attacks someone’s what’s called sniffing captures that information it’s out there, super, yeah its rough super important if you have like a type of shop where you are taking credit card information or just personal information. So that can be easily fixed by getting an SSL certificate so if you do enter user name and password it’s sent over the internet so I’ll jumbled up, so even if someone grabs it they have no idea what the heck it means – Okay – And then on top of just really just safety and security you always want to make backups, especially with a blog and you’re constantly adding stuff, are you planning to post how many times a week or how many times a month? – I’m planning on posting probably about once a week.
– Okay so that’s like 52 posts a year so if something were to happen to your site all those posts are gone. So make sure you have some type of backup service most hosting providers will have something for you or you can find something third-party, but it’s always easier to do with your hosting provider since it’s all usually automated but you want to protect all this time invested into this project, make sure it’s just not gone in the blink of an eye – Right – All right so these are just the basics of building your first blog there again there’s lots of options to kind of go through and make it your own like we still need to update the the title, and then it comes with navigation, colors things like that at least this has a solid foundation for you to build your first site, and then from here it’s just exploring that’s kind of the fun of WordPress there’s so much to explore, so you can never stop learning.
– Perfect well thanks for all the help and let us know in the comments below what videos you guys want to see and be sure while you’re down there, make sure you like the video and subscribe to our channel as well. – This is The Journey we’ll see you next time.